There’s a hole in the bucket
As I said in my last post, the tap on the Coopers DIY fermenting vessel was looking a bit tired. I have used it for about 16 brews and the seal started to crack. I had a look at it, went it will do another brew just fine I sure, aka famous last words.
After a bit of searched for spare seal, found loads of posts saying that you can’t get a new seal for the Coopers DIY home brew fermenting vessels. You had to get a whole new kit some posters said. This send me down a DIY trail on how I could make home made seal or if I could plug the hole for the tap and use the FV just as a bin, without the tap. I had many many ideas what to do and stared to look for bits online to solve the issue.
This of course totally side tracked me, as I ended up looking at DIY pluming and other peoples fantastic home brew setups. Did find one shop that had the tap, but was out of stock and was in the US. I’m sure if they ever restocked, the shipping would end up in silly money. Because it was late, I was tired I didn’t do a proper search.
Though, I did find Coopers in Australia’s email address, so I fired one quick email off to them asking them if they knew of a place in the UK where I could get the tap. Few hours later I got a reply back and a request for my address. Lo and behold, the next day through my letter box a brand new tap fell. Thank you, Coopers DIY UK that was very nice of you, brilliant service!
So back to the leak, oh I forgot to tell you didn’t I my dear reader!
I was so keen to start and brewed up the Dirty Marilyn’s Secret anyway with the old tap. Which while mixing it up the seal did held tight and we didn’t have any spillage. Finished the brew, packed everything up, put the FV in its corner. Few hours later I went over to check on the temp and to see if the yeasties have kicked off yet, the BRY-97 is rather keen.
This is where I noticed that the mat the FV was standing on was wet, so a slight bit of panic set in! Is the leak big enough to end up with more beer on the floor, how the feck do I get an FV or a bin at ten thirty at night, can I seal it up with some electrical tape – WHAT DO I DO NOW !!!
With the help of lass, I managed to seal and stop the flood of 2017 with a bit of tape. So the total loss, looks like half a liter. Though, I need to get it into another vessel to be able to bottle the beer. As I’m sure if I just look at the tap again there will be to much beer on outside of the FV.
I went over to my LHBS, to talk over my options: Do I get another pot with a valve, one of the King Keg’s or just a simple bucket with a lid for the dry hopping.
Mind, this took me into dangerous waters, as this means I will end up with more home brew kit than I had ever planned to have … here be dragons!
I managed to restrain myself and only ended up a 30 Litre Bucket with lid and airlock.
Today I moved the Dirty Marilyn’s Secret in the Coopers DIY FV over into the new bucket, to let the yeasties do their job for a few more days. Then move the beer back into the Cooper’s FV for the dry hopping with the Vic Secret. As that will make it easier for me to bottle with the equipment I got.
Even though this is beer, there is nostalgia going on, as I have fund memories. Of big glass bottles with airlocks bobbling away, in the spare room with whatever wine/moonshine my folk were making, when I was a kid. I’m kinda looking forward to see the bobbles moving around on this new FV and airlock.